Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age.
Maintaining Your Oral and Overall Health
At every checkup, you can expect a thorough comprehensive exam and cleaning, where we’ll:
A Step-by-Step Guide to Your Dental Hygiene Exams
What can you expect at your hygiene appointments with Dr. Mathes?
- Digital x-rays
- Dental decay assessment
- Oral cancer screening
- Periodontal and tooth charting
- TMJ assessment
- Tartar and stain removal
- Tooth scaling
- Tooth polishing
- Gum disease prevention
- Cavity prevention
- Proper brushing techniques
- Proper flossing techniques
- Nutrition tips
- Your smile goals
How You Can Keep Your Smile Healthy
How many times should I brush my teeth a day?
Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, brush your teeth at least twice a day. We recommend you use a fluoride toothpaste to strengthen your smile and remove any extra plaque-causing food particles. Don’t forget to brush the top surface of your tongue to keep your breath fresh!
How many times should I floss a day?
Floss at least once a day to clean between your teeth. It’s important to floss the areas your toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Floss, together with mouthwash, will remove extra decay and food particles between the teeth and under the gum line.
How do I brush properly?
- Step 1: Tilt your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gums.
- Step 2: Gently, brush in a circular motion.
- Step 3: Brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of every tooth.
- Step 4: Brush in a back and forth motion for you back molars.
How do I floss properly?
- Step 1: Wind about 18 inches of floss around the ends of your middle fingers.
- Step 2: Using your thumbs and forefingers, gently guide about one inch of floss between your teeth.
- Step 3: Curve the floss into a C-shape against one tooth and gently slide it on the teeth up to your gumline.
- Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each tooth.
Dr. Mathes is the best dentist I have ever been to. I feel appreciated in every aspect going here, from the front desk to hygienists, and with Dr. Mathes. Dr Mathes is very knowledgeable and trustworthy in the work that he and his staff have done with me.
Chad A., Actual Patient