Sleep Apnea Treatment
What Is Sleep Apnea?
How Dangerous Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is considered a serious medical problem. If left untreated, it can lead to serious health risks.
Do You Have Questions About Sleep Apnea?
- Are there different types of sleep apnea?There 3 stages of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common, which occurs when the tissue in the back of the throat collapses.
- Central sleep apnea occurs when breathing stops because the proper muscles didn’t receive the appropriate signals from the brain.
- Some people may experience “mixed” or “complex” sleep apnea, which is a combination of obstructive and central.
- How is sleep apnea treated?Sleep apnea treatment depends on severity. Basic treatment involves behavioral changes (such as losing weight, quitting smoking, etc.). Other treatments include oral devices, which position the mouth to prevent throat blockage. In more severe cases, surgery may be needed.
- What should I do if I suspect that someone in my family suffers from sleep apnea?Dr. Bruce Mathes offers sleep apnea solutions to get you a good night’s sleep. We’ll refer you to a sleep apnea specialist to conduct a sleep study and diagnose your condition. Depending on your situation, treatment may involve an oral device that we can custom-create for you.
Dr. Mathes is the best dentist I've ever been to. He and his staff are super nice, professional, thorough and gentle. I've had problems with teeth sensitivity all my life and my first visit they gave me a desensitizing rinse so I would have no pain.
Actual Patient at Bruce Mathes DDS